Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Trial Teachers & Teacher's Trials

This week is an interesting and exciting one for me. It's a tough one, too.

In English II, the students are transforming into teachers--for a class period. Students are working in groups of 2-5 (depending on the class section and subject matter) and are teaching a literary element or two to their peers. Two groups in each class period have completed their duty assignment; I've enjoyed the experience immensely. Each group has a team leader--just like a real English department. The team leader helps coordinate assignments and oversees the whole shebang. Each team is required to develop a lesson plan, create a presentation (using Power Point or SmartBoard technology), and design worksheets. Between the two class periods, "trial-teachers" have taught hyperbole & understatement, allusion (literary, Biblical, mythological, and historical), symbolism, and oxymoron & paradox. Upcoming lessons include: types of imagery, verbal & dramatic irony, allegory, epigrams, metonymy, and alliteration / assonance / consonance. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming lessons--as I've enjoyed the completed teaching experiences so much.


The Speech projects, on the other hand, are more difficult. Students are "Presenting the Past" this week. Each presentation must be between 7-10 minutes long and focus on a specific decade. So far I've seen presentations on the 30s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. The projects are really interesting and fun, but the difficulty for me, as a teacher, is in the grading. It is so hard to grade my students on their speeches. I know, I know... I'm a Speech teacher. But, I love my students--and it's difficult to be objective. They get nervous up there. Even if I know a student is capable of a great speech, they might be having an "off-day" or get extra nervous because the stakes are so high (100 pts). I have to grade each student on their performance, so it can be really tough.


Oh yeah... and AP Literature is working on an uber-difficult mock AP multiple choice exam. I love taking the practice tests--but I've found this one a little exhausting (and I've taken it before). I wouldn't be surprised if the ACTUAL AP test were easier than this practice exam.


So, it's a busy week--for me and for my students. I hope everyone is enjoying the English II and Speech projects. And, AP... when you look back on this practice test (this summer, in 10 years, whenever) I hope that you know I'm not trying to torture you. I'm just trying to do what is best for you and what will prepare you for the "big day".


Is anyone else ready for the weekend yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment