Friday, February 26, 2010

Wow, what a week! It's been fun, but I'll be glad to get back to normal next week. The peer-teaching project in English II has been amazing. I had no idea so many of my students are such talented teachers, as well. I've also seen some great worksheets and Power Point presentations.

The Speech projects were, overall, pretty darn great... I enjoyed learning about the past 80 years (give or take a few). Students presented projects ranging from the 1930s to the 2000s -- complete with pictures, information, music, and even costumes. Kudos to Alexis Niebrugge. for maintaining constant eye contact (and for never even using her notes) and for attempting the Madonna-look. Another round of applause goes out to Josh Hanner-Bananer for his informative and well-presented project about the 1940s and Operation Valkyrie--very interesting! James Strong deserves accolades, as well--his video about the 90s entertained us all; in the same section, Austin Speer delivered a nearly-professional speech. John Schultz delivered a fun and informative speech--about Boy Bands in the 90s. I had to cover my ears through New Kids on the Block and N-Sync... but it was fun to hear Boys2Men. That took me back to high school dances! I also think that Lexi Kingery should give me some hints about PowerPoint--her slides were incredibly beautiful. Now, I'm only mentioning a few of the highlights...there are way too many to mention (you all complain that I'm too long winded in these articles).


My AP students have been reading a selection of novels: The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde), Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe), and Frankenstein (Mary Shelley). Dorian Gray was, by far, the favorite... with Things Fall Apart receiving low marks from students. They're starting a new selection of novels this weekend. Enjoy!


Okay, that's my update for this week. I hope everyone enjoys the 3-day weekend. Don't forget to study your Beowulf!

No comments:

Post a Comment