Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Teacher's View of the Twilight Series

I've read the first three books in the Twilight series so far... and I have mixed opinions about these three books. There are reasons why I have enjoyed reading the series--and positive and negative opinions about the series overall.

· I think it's wonderful so many of my students (and teens in general) enjoy the series. Anything that keeps you all reading is a great thing!

· The vocabulary the author uses is definitely a positive attribute (from a teacher's perspective). I also like her use of literary allusions. That's cool. I would like to see more (or more elaborate) metaphors, similes, and other literary elements/devices. I realize this is "a book for fun" and you don't want me spoiling that with talk of literary devices and vocabulary--but, these things always seem to be in books (crazy isn't it?) -- and it's nice to see them in such supply in a popular novel.


· I wish Bella were a stronger role model. She's kind of weak and weepy--and even a little whiny. Okay, so she's in love--I get that. But, to sit around for the entire 2nd book (New Moon) and pine for Edward. Ugh! Then, she uses and abuses her "friend" Jacob--not because she wants to make him happy... but, because he makes her happy for the brief amount of time they spend together. Talk about selfish. And, what is with her willingness to sacrifice herself on the alter of vampirism? She would give up her family, her friends, and her own mortality to be with some guy? Gag...me...with...a...spoon. So, that is why I wish Bella was cast as a role model rather than perpetuating a stereotype.


· The second book was pretty dull. It served as a nice segue between #1 and #3--but it was boring to read it. I couldn't wait for it to be over. The others were much better. I've heard from a reliable source that the 4th book is really good, too. It's the same with the Harry Potter series. The 2nd book, IMO, is the weakest in the series. Also, the author seems to drag the plot out for ages and ages before the climax and resolution (if there's even a real resolution until later in the series).

· Just briefly...why I prefer the Harry Potter series over Twilight: The richness of J.K. Rowling's writing far outweighs that of Stephenie Meyer. While both are consider books for adolescents, Rowling has unbelievable skill at crafting the English language. The difference is in miles rather than inches.

· Final thought--I know that many people talk about Stephenie Meyer basing Twilight off Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. But, I'm just not seeing the connection between the two. If anyone has read both novels and would care to elaborate, that would be fantastic. I've read P&P many, many, many times -- and have even read the zombie-enhanced version. I still can't see where Twilight runs a parallel course.

There are a number of things to like about this series--and if you haven't read it yet, then you probably should. If you did like this series, then maybe you'll like some of these books, too.

· The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith*

· anything by Neil Gaiman*

· Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (one of the literary allusions in Twilight)

· Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice

· Bluebloods by Melissa de la Cruz**

· Dracula by Bram Stoker

· If you're just looking for more vampire books, check out The Vampire Library--probably the most comprehensive list of vampire-related novels on the web.

You might also want to check out this website dedicated to Twilight--it's called "Novel Novice"--she recommends the books in the list above marked with a single asterisk. Titles marked with two asterisks are recommendations from others who enjoyed the Twilight series.

What if you're not a fan of the Twilight series (you may be asking)...? Wwell, check out this article from Fantasy Magazine. You are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment