Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Speech!

Why is Everyone Afraid of Speech?

Speech is scary. I mean to get up and stand in front of a group of people is scary. Why is that? Why do people stare at the person during a speech? It is hard enough already to have the guts to get up there let alone the mental strength to stare down the people who are starring at you. During freshman year, I was a little nervous about having to take speech. I had heard that it was a blow off class the way Mr. Slicer taught it, so that made it better. Then this year I found out that Mr. Slicer had left and we were getting a new teacher with a military background and a top secret security clearance. That's a little intimidating (sorry Mrs. Cross but it is). I found out that I had the new teacher, Mrs. Cross, for English II and Speech. So on the first day of school I went to my English class and met Mrs. Cross. The first thing she did was give us a speech on things we would have to do. All of a sudden, I guess, Brennen was doing something wrong but Mrs. Cross threw him out of the class. (I did not literally "throw" him--I let him relax in the hallway for a bit). I was slightly afraid for the next class, but as the school year went along we learned that she is just a "big softie" and only seems intimidating. After the end of the first semester I liked having class with Mrs. Cross but was still nervous about speech. Just the thought of speech class makes me not want to go. Which that is an awful reason to dislike speech actually I thought speech would be pure torture to go to, but it really isn't that bad; it is fun!
~ Hailey


No comments:

Post a Comment