Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Magic

When I walked into the Macy's store on 34th Street in New York about a month ago it seemed like any other department store at Christmas time, but as I made my way to the 8th floor, yes there were nine, I fell in love. My mom, little sister, and I were surrounded by 12 foot tall stuffed animals, tables full of toys and candy, 3 foot tall candy canes, yard sticks of bubble gum, 6 foot high toy soldiers and this is not even close to an exaggeration. All the toys and candy were real, no lie. I was amazed, I looked at my mom and asked why she couldn't have taken me here when I was five. She rolled her eyes, but being on the 8th floor of Macy's made me remember the magic of Christmas I experienced as a child. Anything was possible on Christmas.
Now I sit on my bed on Christmas morning writing this blog article; I had surgery yesterday so will not be attending church with my family. When I was younger at this time the house would be covered in garland on every railing, the contents of every shelf had been replaced with Santa figurines, two Christmas trees lit up the scraps of wrapping paper carelessly ripped of the toys, and sugar cookies baked to perfection and decorated by my sister and I sat on the counter looking inedible, but still tasting delicious.
Things have changed a little bit: we have one tree set up, lacking piles and piles of presents, no cookies, garland, and this year even no Santas were set out. I did no Christmas shopping, I blame it on the Christmas Eve surgery, but I know that's hardly an excuse. What happened to the magic of Christmas? Does it just disappear as you get older and busier? Or is it just me? And I hope it's not the case that it is loosing its magic all together... we are having Christmas dinner for a family of 40 catered in for the first time ever this year. I know I won't be able to tell till I see the faces of my younger cousins on Saturday, but Christmas just isn't as exciting as when you're five, and it seems to me everyone just keeps trying to turn it into a hassle instead of a celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment