Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Meta-Game Assumptions


Have you ever entered a campaign with a new character and found yourself behaving in a way that is unrealistic due to meta-game knowledge?

I have found myself doing the following the past 2 sessions of my Ars Magica game.

1. Not asking a clarifying question that my character would have asked, because someone told me the answer in the real world.
2. Not really asking for room descriptions because my party already had drawn their own map, or really asking a lot of questions about the environment at all.
3. Suggesting solutions to problems that involve elements of the world that my character hasn't experienced yet, based on the assumed correctness of my party members (when maybe they misunderstood it themselves).

Then as a result of this behavior, I have been coming up with bad solutions to problems because I am resting on a mountain of assumptions.

I am introducing this new companion next session. I intend on asking a lot of questions. Even questions that I know the answer to already, just to have the GM go through the information again and possible I may notice things that my party members missed or forgot to relay to me after it happened.

Does this ever happen to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment